Indian E-Tourist Visa
The government of India launched the e-tourist visa in October 2014. This visa is an ETA that permits visitors from other countries to enter India. This move has made a visa application easier for foreigners and has attracted many tourists to India. The e – tourist visa is specifically designed for tourism. Any visitor who plans to go sightseeing, visit with family and friends, go for yoga or spiritual retreats can apply for this visa.
Here are some of the countries that can apply for the Indian Tourist e-Visa:
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- United Kingdom
- United States
How it works
The process of getting the e – tourist visa is easy and simple. Eligible applicants can apply on the official government website, a private website or use a travel agency.
The application form will require personal details and passport details. Some security questions will be asked as well. After the application form has been submitted and approved, applicants can pay online with their credit card or debit card.
Features of the Indian E – tourist visa
Here a few things you need to know about the Indian e – visa for tourists before completing your application:
- The e-Tourist visa is valid for 3 months starting from the date of arrival. For citizens of Japan, the UK, Canada, and the US, the Visa is valid for 6 months.
- The e-tourist visa is not extendable and it cannot be converted.
- You can apply for two e – tourist visas in a year. Any visitor planning to visit India more than two times will have to apply for another visa.
- Visitors must have enough money to support themselves throughout their stay in India.
- All visitors must carry a printed copy of this visa with them at all times throughout their stay.
- As you apply for your e – tourist visa, make sure that you have a return ticket or an onward ticket with you.
- Each visitor must have an individual passport irrespective of their age.
- It is not compulsory for parents to include their children while applying for the e – tourist visa.
- This visa cannot be used to gain access to any protected area or Cantonment area.
- Your passport must have a six-month validity from the day you arrive in India. Immigration officers will need two blank pages in the passport for entry and exit stamps
- If you hold an International Travel Document or a Diplomatic passport, you cannot apply for this visa.
What can I use the India e-Tourist visa for?
The e – tourist visa is primarily for tourism and visiting family and friends. It can also be used for excursions to places of interest and to explore the rich culture of the country.
Recently, a lot of foreigners come to India to attend spiritual retreats. Many people are currently in yoga and other spiritual journeys.
India is acclaimed as one of the most spiritual countries in the world. It is home to so many spiritual sites like the Varanasi, Taj Mahal, Ajanta caves, Rishikesh, River Ganga, and many others. India is also the origin of yoga and many religions like Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.
In western countries, yoga is practiced as a physical exercise. They focus more on the asanas, the poses, and postures. In India, yoga has more to do with meditation, breathing exercises and even offering services to the community.
For those who wish to participate in yoga retreats, you have the opportunity to do that with the e-tourist visa. It’s the perfect opportunity for others seeking solitude and a place to just relax.
There are 28 designated airports and 5 seaports that accept e-visas. You can enter the country through any of these ports. If you are not going to arrive through any of the designated ports, visit the Indian embassy to obtain a regular visa.
When it’s time to leave, you can pass through any of the Immigration Check Points that have been authorized by the government.