How to Prepare Your Trip to India
India being the world’s most populated country is huge, amazing and full of culture. The fact that India is filled with colors, architecture, and history makes it attractive to tourists. Traveling to India entails a huge deal of preparations. When you have obtained all the required documents for your trip, you need to be aware of a couple of things. To ensure you stay healthy, you will be required to take certain immunizations. Also, it is expedient to know what to pack and the type of currency you are taking along with you for your trip.
Necessary Procedures for a Trip to India
It is now possible for travelers to combine their tour in India with side trips to neighboring countries. There are several standard immigration and customs procedures to follow in other to gain entry to India:
- Customs Regulations: There’s a minimum amount of cash to be declared on arrival which amounts to US$10,000 or its equivalent in other currencies.
- Passport: A valid passport is required to gain entry into India. Your passport needs to be valid for at least 180 days after entry.
To apply for a valid passport, you will be required to provide your birth certificate, driver’s license, passport photograph and may need to fill out several forms. Also, you should keep photocopies of your passport for an emergency.
- Visa: Citizens of some places in China, Japan, and South Korea don’t need visas to enter into India or upon arrival.
However, travelers from other nationalities need to apply for a visa before arriving in India. Tourists can obtain online e-Visa (valid for 60 days) available for more than 150 nationalities. Longer trips, require a standard six-month tourist visa which can be applied for at the median consulate or embassy in your country’s capital
- Vaccination: India is a very congested country and in order not to put your health at a risk, you should visit your doctor to get standard vaccinations.
Amongst the vaccinations recommended for India by The CDC and WHO are: typhoid, cholera, chickenpox, and pneumonia. Your doctor should give more enlightenment on how to make the vaccines effective.
Things you may need for your trip to India
The following are some of the things you need to pack for your trip to India include:
- A backpack and carryon suitcase: It is always better to carry everything you brought on your back. There are places in India where taxis cannot pass and you will need to walk.
- Loosely-fitting Clothes: India is known to have insane car traffic and polluted air here and there, so you should not feel silly wearing mask and or covering up with a scarf. Put on clothes that will cover your body and protect your skin from pollution which can cause skin problems.
- Deodorant, Hair Conditioner, Sunscreen, Mosquitoes Repellants: You may not get the quality you are used to in India.
- Sturdy Walking Shoes: The roads and sidewalks in India are a jagged obstacle course, sometimes there’s an open sewer spilling its gruesome contents across your path. You will need a pair of closed toes shoes.
- Cash and Credit Cards: You would not want to get stranded in a place like India. You are allowed to bring as much as 25,000 rupees worth of cash to India.
Things you should know before traveling to India
To make your travel to India more comfortable and less confusing there are things you should be aware of before traveling. India has been reporting a lot of rape cases; as a lady, you are advised not to walk alone as you are probably going to get strange looks. Respect the religion and culture of India showing great respect to elders in India. You are also advised to make personal research about cultural practices as well as the tourists’ sites in India. You should also beware of beggars on the streets of India as there are a lot of them in India, some of which have upgraded to pick pocketing.
Is it safe to travel to India?
India is a safe place safer than many other parts of the world. But of course, you will need to be careful and very sensitive to your environment.